Friday, May 29, 2015

Have You Discovered Your Why?

Have you ever wondered about your life’s purpose? On some level, we all wrestle with why were we born? What should I be doing with my life? If you are a Christian/have experience in the church, you probably have pondered:

What is my call? 

For what, did God create me? Those of us in the Christian tradition refer to Scripture seeking to understand our role in God’s plan for Creation:

"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations” Jeremiah 1:5

 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. 
 If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me.” Jeremiah 29:11-13

So we believe that God created us for a purpose but few of us truly “look for God wholeheartedly” to discover our purpose. If we really desire to live meaningful lives, knowing how God “formed you in your mother’s womb” and why did God set you apart” is the key.

Currently, are you just getting by? Did you enter a field because it was popular? Is your career or job only paying the bills (survival)? Are you motivated by your work? Are your gifts and talents utilized? If your job or career ended today, would you have a sense of accomplishment that your contributions made a difference?

If you aren’t clear on how God formed you or what God’s plans are for you, begin a self-inventory: Ask yourself, what do I do really well? What brings me joy or satisfaction? What do people say I do well? If I could ______________ all the time I would. When I am____________ I feel like God is well pleased.

Reflect on your childhood, what made you happy? What were your favorite activities? For example, my brother reminds me as a child I talked a lot (that I can't confirm or deny). But, I do remember always having a strong sense of right and wrong. So, it’s not surprising I entered a field requiring verbal communication and focusing on justice.

Retracing your life’s journey will have many clues for you to uncover. Take the time to reminisce, ask for input from people who know you well, and seek feedback from others with whom you aren’t as familiar. Through these actions you might discovery your elusive raison d'etre.

“Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it.” 
British physicist, Stephen Hawking 

Believing that God is the origin of our purpose, let us pray and look for God wholeheartedly for our life’s purpose so that our work has meaning. Praying fervently that God reveals:

How? You were formed in your mother’s womb (your gifts and uniqueness)
Why? You were set apart (your purpose)
For what? The plans God has for you (where and with whom you will accomplish your purpose)

-- 
INSPIRED BY LOVE, 
Pastor Marcus J. Singleton
pastorsingleton@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment