Friday, January 30, 2015

What Do Jogging and Worship Share in Common?

One evening as I jogged the commonalities with worship resonated in my thoughts as I puttered along. 

First, before I hit the pavement I had a goal of running 6 miles. The goal of Christian worship is celebration of, adoration of and submission to Jesus. When one begins jogging or enters worship, the goal should be our focal point.

On that evening, with laser focus I ran determined to complete 6 miles. When we worship whether privately or corporately, our primary and only focus is Jesus. 

Throughout the run, my body gave me reasons why I shouldn't continue running: my stomach knotted, my knee felt weak, my arms tightened – each symptom offering legitimacy for terminating my goal.

When we attempt to worship our bodies conspire with our minds convincing us that worship doesn't require any physical movement; that we should avoid any verbal emoting; in our self-centeredness we refuse to humble ourselves; our sinful selves believe we are the focal point for adoration and exaltation and our minds drift allowing food; unfinished tasks and our issues/challenges to become priority.

With every step I jogged whether with ease or great challenge, I had to  remind myself of my goal because the desire to quit constantly entered my mind. It seemed every reason both physically and mentally taunted and tempted me to give up. I had to continually muster the will to reach my 6 miles goal.

Similarly, there's this warring of the flesh and Spirit when one attempts to worship particularly in the public context. Worshipers enter churches across the world, either unwilling to or unsure if the goal of celebrating, adoring or submitting to Jesus is possible. The would-be worshiper experiences sweaty palms, knotting of their stomachs, tightening in their arms, a sense of loneliness (because of the absence of others worshiping); even the social/cultural resistance to worshiping Jesus makes for uncertainty of reaching one's goal of worshiping Jesus.

Jogging and worship require determination of both the will and Spirit. If we are to have success in reaching our physical and spiritual goals, we must attain a laser focus because:

“The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions.” Galatians 5:17
  
Whether it’s jogging or worshiping, discipline has to become our primary resolve. Referring to his journey of remaining faithful to Jesus Christ and encouraging others in the faith, the Apostle Paul reminds us, I Corinthians 9:27a:

”Like an athlete I punish my body, treating it roughly,
training it to do what it should, not what it wants to…”

Jogging and Worship require steadfast commitment and determination to overcome the obstacles that will arise.


INSPIRED BY LOVE, 
Pastor Marcus J. Singleton 
 

1 comment: