Friday, December 6, 2013

The Greatest Gift Is An Introduction

Today December 6th, I fondly remember my mother who would have been eighty-two. There are so many memories that I could recall; but as a disciple, parent and pastor I choose to focus on my mother’s commitment to sharing and teaching me her faith because I realize the import of her decision.  Scripture instructs parents to: “Teach your children to choose the right path, and when they are older, they will remain upon it.”

While I might not have fully agreed with her methods; I am grateful for her unwavering resolve to ensure my awareness of the One whom she called Savior. In our post-modern world where nothing is sacred; where truth has many names; where frivolity is valued over substance, my mother’s introduction to her Savior has proven her greatest contribution to my life.  

Whether; through days of joy or years of pain, my anchor continues to be my mom’s Savior, Jesus; whom I too now, refer to as my Savior. Disciples, parents and pastors have the same responsibility of training, teaching and preparing others to live in an unforgiving world.  My mother instilled within me that this awesome task is not to be approached with cowardice. She never vacillated in her beliefs; she didn’t merely say what she believed; she lived it. I’m not suggesting mom was without fault/sin but her life’s purpose was faithfulness to her God. Her life’s focus was the Great Commandment – "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and. . .Love your neighbor as yourself.”

No one ever had to wonder what she believed or the depths of my mom’s caring. She actively served in her church; her community; and frequently reminded the stranger of God’s love through her kindness. Her life was an embodiment of being: “strong and steady, always enthusiastic about the Lord's work, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless”. My eldest brother said it best, “mom taught us how to live and how to die” signifying the consistency of her spirit and faithfulness to whom she believed.

Each year as I commemorate my mother’s birthday and celebrate her life, I pray I grow in what she always encouraged me, holy boldness!  I pray that like my mom the love and grace of Jesus is so evident in me that I too am compelled to unapologetically share and teach my faith to my children, family and friends, parishioners, enemies and strangers.  I pray that like mom I too will have lived in such a way that the preacher will not have to eulogize me; rather, she or he will only need to recall my life.  I pray too that like my mom I will die having fully-lived my faith.

As a disciple, parent and pastor I have discovered the greatest gift we can offer someone is an introduction to a Savior that shapes our lives into that which is redemptive; selfless; meaningful; and worth dying for.

Thank you Mommy!  I will always love you!!

Marcus

No comments:

Post a Comment