Friday, October 18, 2013

"Might, Power and Strength?"


Do you have an intense workout regimen? vein-ripped muscles? Do you have a financial portfolio Warren Buffet would approve? Is your position; at your job, so esteemed people bow or stand when you enter a room?

Most of us only dream of answering “yes” to these questions.  Hence we probably long for some sort of “might, power, or strength”! And more than likely have been unsuccessful because of our perception of might, power and strength.

From where or whom, does might, power and strength come?

We tend to associate money, position and prestige with might, power and strength. Over the years, I have discovered pursuit of these perceived trophies is completely meaningless (Ecclesiastes 1:2b). Think about the energy and effort you've expended or witnessed others expending, only to discover a remaining void. However; everyone can attain might, power and strength but not through yeses to the above questions. Quite paradoxically we can all become powerful beyond our dreaming if we are willing to become weak.

Strength, Power and Might = Weakness?

Power is not present when I am raising my voice at someone; when expressing a curt word of rebuke; or conveying dominance toward someone with whom I disagree. Conversely, power bursts forth when I am kneeling with full attention on my kindergartner - gently listening to his explanation of the intricacies and focus required for he and his brother to build a thingmajig in the Legos universe. The radiance of his eyes and the confidence in his voice imbue unfettered joy – Now that’s Power!

My strength is not measured by the amount of weights I can lift or the number of Zumba classes I complete. However, I am Army Strong when my family is happy and contented. As I care for my family; cook our family meals; or clean the house – giving my wife opportunity to relax and have some her time – I am strengthened because I recognize she is joyful and worry free. Have you ever seen a stressed out and over worked person have a moment to themselves? The phrase Priceless resonates as I witness the Strength (of Family Love).

I am mighty and important not because I am able to meet with dignitaries and other people held in high esteem. But might and importance flow through me:
as I serve those who are despised;
as I speak to and recognize the humanity of the outcast; 
as I share physical nourishment; hope; and the love of Jesus with people                         on the margins
How mighty we are when doing what Jesus commanded! In these moments we discover what Jesus meant, and even greater works will you do. Following Jesus unveils our true Might!

Our might, strength nor power stems from our definitions or perceptions! We discover these attributes in surrender and submission to God, not of ourselves but of our Godselves. Listening, caring, serving and sharing normally associated with weakness are gateways to strength, power and might.

God through Jeremiah invites the Israelites and each of us to realize our faulty perceptions and definitions of might, power and strength. These reminders help us to reassess our choices and practices, enabling us to redirect our actions: 

“This is what the Lord says:
“Don’t let the wise boast in their wisdom,
or the powerful boast in their power,
or the rich boast in their riches.
But those who wish to boast
should boast in this alone;
that they truly know me and understand that 
I am the Lord
who demonstrates unfailing love
and who brings justice and righteousness to the earth,
and that I delight in these things, I the Lord, have spoken!””
(Jeremiah 9:23–24)

May we delight in the things of God; not our own power, strength and might!



-- 
Inspired By Love,

Marcus J. Singleton
Lead Pastor
Living Faith Community 
Hoover, AL

Our Vision: "A diverse community of faith; inspired by the love of Jesus,
                    committed to becoming and making disciples".

G

No comments:

Post a Comment