Friday, August 16, 2013

Will the Real Jesus, Please Stand Up?

In the year 2000, rapper Eminem performed at the MTV Video Music Awards, the name of the song was “I’m the Real Slim Shady”.  He stood before 100s of white young men; adorned just like him with blond hair; wearing blue jeans and white t-shirts; while bobbing their heads to the music.  Amid these competing images of himself (or his persona Slim Shady); Eminem emerges with a microphone in hand, repeating the question, “Will the real slim shady please stand up, please stand up?” Later in the chorus, he reveals, “Cause I’m slim shady, yes I’m the Real Slim Shady”. Remembering this song and video caused me to wonder, will the real Jesus please stand up?

Over 2000 years ago, Jesus emerged as this radical, relevant and rebellious figure. Below are His first public words; defiant and directed toward a religious and cultural hierarchy, who desired to maintain a status quo of which they were the beneficiaries:

“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released, that the blind will see, that the oppressed will be set free, and that the time of the Lord’s favor has come”. Luke 4:18-19

This Jesus stood before an audience in search of a Messiah (One who would finally deliver or set free a specific people) and declares hope for excluded people. His message is clear; God’s mission/purpose is not limited to the hearer’s particular people group.  After stating his mission, Jesus with a sense of rebellion (toward this oligarchic audience), radically declares: “The Scripture you’ve just heard has been fulfilled this very day!” Luke 4:21.

In essence, Jesus exclaims today your lives and the lives of those
who have yet to know about the Messiah is irrevocably altered.

For the remainder of Jesus’ earthly life, his actions are both indicative of his message and give evidence that he is the Messiah.  By virtue of the miracles Jesus performed and his willingness to obey God above religious doctrine; even unto death, his every expression and resurrection reveals that He is the real Messiah. Yet, doubt lingers and many continue to ask will the real Jesus please stand up?

Today, the once radical, relevant and rebellious Jesus is cast as one that fits into the culture; that follows the status quo. Woefully, Jesus is characterized as meek and accommodating; one that acquiesces to popular political, social, and religious pressures.  Consequently, some are wondering what happened to the daring Jesus who willfully declares the truth of and lives in obedience to God?

For many Jesus seems like those extras in Eminem’s performance;
they looked like him but they were powerless, mere accessories.

As a Christian and as a pastor, I admit sometimes I wonder have we (the church), have I caused Jesus to become a mere accessory?  Are we Christians following a radical, relevant and rebellious Messiah? Or are we Christians capitulating to a Jesus whom we have remade in our own (powerless) image?

As Eminem spoke into the microphone and declared I’m the real slim shady
and led those who looked like him toward the stage;
he removed any doubt of who was the real slim shady.

Are You Following the Real Jesus?

Lord, I confess I need the real Jesus to please stand up! Gracious God speak into my heart and into my spirit. I need the real Jesus to restore in me His spirit of radical; relevant, rebellion. Jesus, my Messiah, empower me toward a more consistent and unflinching belief in your miracles; in your promises and in your commands. Fashion in me an unto death resolve – to willingly obey God above religious doctrine; above societal, cultural and political norms.  God, I know, I am made in your image; remove any doubt in me that the real Jesus is radical, relevant and rebellious; thus reminding me that I, too, am to live and be radical, relevant and rebellious. In Jesus name, may this prayer be fulfilled this very day!  Amen.

If this is your prayer, say Amen! Today your life and those around you is being irrevocably altered. Let's go live unto death.


Inspired By Love,

Marcus J. Singleton
Lead Pastor
Living Faith Community
Hoover, AL

Our Vision: "A diverse community of faith; inspired by the love of Jesus, 
committed to becoming and making disciples".

No comments:

Post a Comment