Friday, April 5, 2013

"Sharing: A Simple Redemptive Act"

As I strive to raise my little fellas to love and reverence God, memories of the parenting I received often chimes beneath my decisions.  My mom and dad definitely reared us in the old school tradition of: children are to be seen, not heard; because I said so; this is my house, or do as you’re told. Before any civic class I was well versed in authoritarian and monarchy forms of government.

But, mixed or tempered with that hardened old school veneer laid a softer, gentler, humanitarian style of governing. My parents consistently encouraged me to share and often when I lacked the sharing spirit, I received talking to’s on the importance of this benevolent action.  As a child, the gravity of this selfless act escaped me, why give a part of what is mine to someone else? They attempted to explain all the benefits of sharing with others (including but not limited to): honoring God; helping others; providing hope to someone else; and feeling good about myself. Yet, my foolish heart led me to believe accumulation of my own toys; clothes; sporting equipment; and savings from my allowance were most significant.

How could sharing what is mine make me better?

In hindsight, my parents were teaching me how to build community and to be a partner with God. The act of sharing; with true generosity and love for God, brings about an interconnectedness or oneness with others.  When we share, essentially we acknowledge the human worth of all people, we recognize the receiver as one of God's children. 

This simple act; of offering a portion of or all of what one has, is transformative. Most times we will never experience any direct benefit from our actions but to the recipient, the effect is immediate and timely.  Sharing a kind word, giving of money or possessions, offering advice or an opportunity, spending time with someone, sharing in the suffering of another are a few ways we can partner with God and experience oneness with others.

Our willingness to share in many circumstances becomes the answer to prayer.

Sharing (what is mine/yours), a simple act, indeed does make us better! Per usual, I learned my parents were right because I am at my best when I am honoring God, helping others and providing hope to someone else.

In concluding the letter of Hebrews, the author offers both encouragement and admonishment just as my parents did for me in my adolescence:

“And don’t forget to do good and to share with others.
These are the sacrifices that please God”. 
Hebrews 13:16

Each of us can build communities/interconnectedness with others and please God through the simple redemptive act of sharing. But, first we must realize the gravity and importance of this sacred action.

--
Much Love,

Marcus J. Singleton
Lead Pastor
Living Faith Community
Hoover, AL

Our Vision:  A "diverse community of faith; inspired by the love of Jesus, committed to becoming and making disciples."





2 comments:

  1. Fridays are special to me because of your profound messages.This one on sharing touched me deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Momma Stew, you are continually a fount of inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete