Saturday, February 9, 2013

Is the Bible Your Love Language?


Every generation laments the absence of their era’s music, fondly recalling “when music was good”.  We believe our generation provided the best: music, sound and creativity. Moreover, we unequivocally pronounce our era and genre as both King and Queen of esteeming the most profound lyrics.  With a second for nostalgia I remember:

When Countless were the tears Sade helped me cry after a break up;                                 When Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell instilled within a quest for an insurmountable love;
When Luther saaaang hope.

Of course, I could cite many, many more. Yet, the one significant constant of my choice of music was/is: its ability to articulate my range of emotions and offer expression for those very low moments when I was numb, lost and beyond words. Music for me was instrumental in developing my understanding of love and relationships.
.
Music has that unique and universal ability to produce utterances bellowing within; to soothe pangs; to decry and celebrate the sorrows and joys of relationships; to quiet our tumult; to reveal our psychosis; to define love, etc.

My favorite music helped me understand people, relationships and the importance of love. As shared, music was pivotal for my growth in interpersonal skills and relationships but I underestimated a resource of greater value.  The Holy Bible in its basest sense is a recount of love and relationships; in fact, if one seeks to know how to love and how to be loved, the Bible is the authority.

Music about love is good but can’t compare with God the author, 
inspiration and creator of Love!

John Wesley said of the Bible: “We know, ‘All Scripture is given by inspiration of God,’ and is therefore true and right concerning all things”. As we strive toward greater understanding of love, God, each other and developing healthy relationships, the Bible should be our primary reference and guide. Wesley also was quoted saying, “Let me be homo unius libri” (Let me be a man of one book), which meant Scripture was his first and primary source for understanding but not his only source.

As we know all healthy relationships are grounded in love; therefore, the knowledge of love should be our pursuit.  And real love is only discovered and learned through God; thus, the Bible is our key.  I John 4:16-17a says, “We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in his love. God is love, and all who love, live in God and God lives in them. And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect…”

What if everyone began all relationships with an understanding that love begins with how much God loves us 
and our every endeavor was to live for and love like God?

God created us for love and if we are to truly know God’s intention for love, let’s continue our journey by using the Bible as our primary source for understanding. Jesus says in John 14:21, “Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them”.

Our best hope to experience love is not remembrances of “when music was good” but in every day opportunities of learning the depths of God’s love for us.  As we read Scripture, we will discover even more than music, Scripture speaks to every circumstance of life.

The story of God and his people begins with and continues with God’s love for us.

If you think your generation's music captured expressions of love best, consider this bible passage written in 900 B.C. (and read the entire book later):

You have captured my heart, my treasure, my bride.
You hold it hostage with one glance of your eyes,
with a single jewel of your necklace.
Your love delights me, my treasure, my bride.
Your love is better than wine, 
your perfume more fragrant than spices.
Songs of Solomon 4:9-10

As we read and study Scripture, we discover God’s love for us and learn how we are to love God and our neighbor. The Bible is a love story that can transform our life, our relationships, our mind, body and soul. Through Scripture, we will find the ebbs and flows of relationships, we will witness the discord of deceit and the harmony of hope and everything between. Most of all, we will see the love of God at work teaching us and inviting us to do the same.

Questions to Ponder
  1. Did you know that love begins with God?
  2. How can we know God’s commandments unless we read and study the Bible?
  3. Will you commit to making the Bible your primary source of learning and understanding all things?
Much Love,
Pastor Singleton

No comments:

Post a Comment